Position: Special Immigrant Legal Advocate (SILA)
Kansas Coalition Against Sexual and Domestic Violence (KCSDV)
Responsible to: Director of Legal and Policy
Enhance availability of legal representation for immigrant survivors of sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, and the historically underserved. This position will apply to receive accreditation by the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA) and will possess the qualifications necessary to receive such accreditation.
- Provide direct legal services to survivors of sexual and domestic violence, sex trafficking and stalking on VAWA self-petitions, U visas, T visas, battered spouse waivers, adjustments of status, petitions for work authorization, and other immigration and family law remedies related to domestic and sexual violence.
- Assist with the Immigration Network, comprised of representatives from groups working with immigrant populations, to determine gaps in services for immigrant survivors and their children.
- Assist with monthly conference calls and trainings on relevant topics.
- Collaborate with the Immigration Project Attorney and other KCSDV staff on projects related to cultural competency, language access, legal services, and the provision of technical assistance.
- Provide training and technical assistance to attorneys, advocates, law enforcement and allied professionals on issues impacting immigrant survivors and their children.
- Assist with other KCSDV duties as assigned.
Employment Status: Full-time
Health, dental, life, and long- and short-term disability insurance, Section 125 mini-flex plan, and 401K plan contribution.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Needed:
Preference for prior experience working in a sexual assault and domestic violence services organization and knowledge of immigration issues. Demonstrated ability to maintain strict confidentiality. Knowledge of legal and systems issues involved in domestic violence and sexual assault, especially as relates to immigration law. Ability to develop materials and train on topics relevant to the position. Proficiency or fluency in Spanish required. Ability to travel and have own means of transportation. Must be able to lift and carry 20-30 lbs.