Position: VISTA Volunteer Coordinator
Harvey County DV/SA
Location: Newton, KS
Goal of the Project:
To build a stronger volunteer program to improve our organization's capacity to serve Domestic Violence/Sexual Assault victims and to find sustainable solutions to continue this service in the future.
Objectives of the Assignment (Period of Performance: February 2015-February 2016)
- Volunteer training, management, and development
- Work with Executive Director, Director of Outreach, and other staff to recruit and engaging low-income, at-risk residents in Harvey County for participation in planning, developing and implementing effective strategies to advance the success of our organization.
- Participate in developing community assessments with Executive Director, Director of Outreach, and other staff to identify and be responsive and relevant to the needs of Harvey County residents, with emphasis on low-income, at-risk populations.
- Learn the current volunteer management computer system, prepare/update documentation for how to use it, and recommend improvements
- Maintain computer records for volunteer management system
- Review volunteer job descriptions and update as needed
- Write and/or update volunteer training materials
- Recruit 15 new volunteers in twelve months through posting positions on volunteer websites, attending community meetings, and utilizing other volunteer recruitment resources
- Train new volunteers
- Research and implement best practices for recruiting, engaging, training, retaining, and supporting volunteers.
- Evaluate effectiveness of volunteer recruitment and management program.
- Partnership development
- Work with Executive Director and Director of Outreach to promote our organization to other service agencies in the community, with emphasis on the need for volunteers
- Organize at least one volunteer recruitment event quarterly, in coordination with other community service agencies when practical
Tasks may include:
- Recruiting and managing volunteers for the organization
- Developing community assessments
- Identifying and being responsive to the needs of low income, at-risk residents of Harvey County
- Working with Victims of Domestic or Sexual Assault
- Modest monthly Living Allowance
- Your choice of an End-of-Year Cash Stipend valued at $1,500 OR the Segal Education Award valued at $5,550 to be used for loan payments or tuition costs
- Health Benefits and Child Care Sup-port
- One Year of Non-Competitive Eligibility for Qualified Federal Job Positions
- Invaluable Professional Experience
Go to http://my.americorps.gov and search the opportunity listings.