Position: PART TIME Shelter Relief Staff
Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Center
This is a part time (25-50%) position.
This employee has non-exempt status.
This employee plans, organizes, coordinates, and directs the daily operation of the shelter in lieu of the shelter manager. This includes performing client intake duties, participation in shelter activities, purchasing groceries and household supplies, and maintaining a healthy safe environment. This employee will be available to communicate and provide support to shelter residents, maintain a log of shift activities, complete shelter duties assigned by the shelter manager, and provide transportation for shelter residents when able to do so. The shelter is staffed twenty-four hours a day, including holidays. shifts are adjusted to ensure coverage and consideration is given to accommodate individual staff scheduling needs.
This position is directly responsible to the Shelter Manager.
- Assures shelter is maintained as a healthy and safe environment in accordance with shelter policy.
- Inventories donated items and shelter property.
- Reviews shift notes and makes additions to shift notes as necessary.
- Client intake completed on each client admitted to the shelter during an assigned shift.
- Provides non-judgmental support, advocacy and resource information regarding legal, medical, mental health, and social service agencies to shelter residents.
- Supervise and encourage shelter residents to participate in activities at the shelter, including the performance of household duties and parenting.
- Enforces shelter policies to provide a "peaceful homelike" atmosphere for shelter residents.
- Answers the Crisis Line between the hours of 5:00 p.m. and 9:00 a.m. Monday through Thursday (week nights) and from Friday 5:00 p.m. to Monday 9:00 a.m. (weekends). Calls are forwarded to volunteers or agency advocates.
- Attend shelter staff meetings, program meetings, training, and educational events that are relevant to the shelter.
- Strict confidentiality will be maintained at all times.
- Ensures the safety and security of shelter residents by monitoring activity in the shelter, perform safety checks of the building, and reporting all problems in a timely manner.
- Is responsible for providing documentation of time worked by 9:00 on Monday of the following workweek.
- Any other duties deemed necessary by the Shelter Manager or Executive Director.
- High school graduate.
- Education or experience in the sexual assault/domestic violence field with additional education in psychology, sociology, social work or a related field is preferred.
- Valid Kansas drivers license and good driving record are required.
- Knowledge of psychological, social, medical, and legal aspects of sexual assault/domestic violence.
- Ability to work independently and with little direct supervision during normal work hours.
- Basic knowledge of personal health issues, nutrition, budgeting concepts and home management are needed.
- Good problem solving and decision making skills.
- Team building skills and the ability to work as a team member to accomplish shelter goals.
- Good listening and communicating skills.
- Flexibility around scheduling work hours.
Holiday Pay (time and a half)
Social Security Employer Contribution
$8.00 - $10.00 per hour
Complete the employment application, and submit a current resume, cover letter, and professional references to:
Child Visitation and Exchange Center (CVEC) Observer
634 SW Harrison
Topeka, KS 66603