Position: Protection Order Project Attorney
Kansas Coalition Against Sexual and Domestic Violence (KCSDV)
Responsible To: Director of Legal and Policy
Legal research and writing. Training of attorneys, law enforcement, advocates, and others. Collaboration with attorneys, law enforcement, prosecutors, court personnel and advocates to improve the quality of representation of victims and use of protection order proceedings.
- In collaboration with other staff and allies, assess ongoing safety and accountability issues and training needs for those involved in the protection order system.
- Provide legal technical assistance to courts, law enforcement officers, prosecutors, private and legal services attorneys, and others who are involved in administration, issuance, and enforcement of protection orders.
- Provide legal technical assistance to advocates who are assisting victims with protection orders.
- Conduct professional discipline-specific trainings on Kansas protection orders.
- Research and write legal memoranda addressing specific legal issues identified by the project as critical to the improvement of the Kansas protection order process.
- Represent victims in Kansas protection order cases where the representation will likely have a positive impact for victims across Kansas.
- Participate in educating advocacy programs about the Project.
- Participate in case review process with staff.
- Complete special legal projects and perform other duties as assigned.
Health, dental, life, and short-term and long-term disability insurance, Section 125 mini-flex plan, and retirement fund contribution
100% full-time, exempt
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Needed:
Juris doctorate and admission to Kansas Bar. Knowledge of protection orders. Knowledge of legal and systems issues involved in domestic violence and sexual assault, especially as related to protection orders. Previous background in domestic violence and sexual assault advocacy. Proven writing and speaking ability. Demonstrated ability to maintain strict confidentiality. Ability to travel and have own means of transportation. Must be able to lift and carry 20-30 lbs.