Position: LAV Project Attorney
Kansas Coalition Against Sexual and Domestic Violence (KCSDV)
Responsible To: Director of Legal and Policy
Increase the availability of quality legal representation for victims in complicated divorce and legal separation, child support and custody, child in need of care, and child abduction prevention proceedings. Increase capacity and quality representation on legal issues facing sexual assault victims.
- Provide direct legal services to victims of sexual assault, domestic violence, dating violence, and stalking, as well as attorneys representing victims, as needed.
- Coordinate the Legal Assistance to Victims grant project including grant reports, statistics and other items as needed or assigned.
- Collaborate with attorneys and other system professionals to increase capacity on legal issues facing sexual assault victims.
- Collaborate with family law and immigration attorneys in Kansas to improve the capacity for legal representation of victims.
- Provide technical assistance to member program advocates, private and legal services attorneys, judges, court personnel, child advocacy personnel, and social service workers on issues impacting victims and their children.
- Collaborate to provide quarterly webinar trainings to court personnel, judges, guardian ad litem attorneys, and child welfare professionals on custody considerations for victims of domestic violence.
- Serve as faculty on all relevant KCSDV trainings.
- Assist with other KCSDV duties as assigned.
Health, dental, life, and long-term disability insurance, Section 125 mini-flex plan, and 401k plan retirement contribution
100% full-time, exempt
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Needed:
Juris doctorate and admission to Kansas Bar. Knowledge of family law. Knowledge of legal and systems issues involved in domestic violence and sexual assault, especially as this knowledge relates to family law. Previous background in domestic violence and sexual assault advocacy. Proven writing and speaking ability. Demonstrated ability to maintain strict confidentiality. Ability to travel and have means of own transportation. Must be able to carry 20-30 lbs and use stairs.