Taking Time Off from Work to Address Domestic and Sexual Violence Issues

Developed by Kansas Coalition Against Sexual and Domestic Violence

Your employer is required to allow you to take up to eight days of leave per calendar year to address issues related to domestic violence or sexual assault. You can take this leave for any of the following reasons:

  • Obtaining or trying to obtain a restraining order or a similar type of relief or order for yourself or your children;
  • Seeking medical care for injuries resulting from domestic violence or sexual assault;
  • Obtaining services from a domestic violence or rape crisis program; or
  • Appearing in court proceedings related to domestic violence or sexual assault.

If you choose to take this time away from work, your employer is prohibited from discriminating against you. This means your employer can?t fire you or retaliate against you in other ways if you are a victim of domestic violence or sexual assault and use this leave.

What does domestic violence mean under this law?

Domestic violence means any or all of the following:

  • Causing or attempting to cause you physical harm;
  • Placing you in fear of imminent physical harm;
  • Engaging in sexual relations or lewd fondling or touching for sexual pleasure with a minor under the age of 16,

when these acts are committed by a spouse, former spouse, a person with whom you have a child, a person you live with or lived with in the past, or a person with whom you have had a dating relationship.

What does sexual assault mean under this law?

Sexual assault includes any of the following crimes:

  • Rape;
  • Indecent liberties with a child;
  • Aggravated indecent liberties with a child;
  • Criminal sodomy;
  • Aggravated criminal sodomy;
  • Incest;
  • Aggravated incest,

when these acts are committed by anyone. This would include someone with whom you have a present or past relationship as well as someone that you do not know.

Does this mean I must tell my employer that I am a victim of domestic violence or sexual assault?

Revealing to your employer that you are a victim of domestic violence or sexual assault is your decision. You may have a number of important reasons for choosing to keep this information private.

However, if your employer will not give you needed time away from work, you might decide to disclose this information to your employer. Your employer is then required to give you time off from work as provided by Kansas law.

Under this Kansas law, do I have to give my employer notice that I will be taking time off of work?

Yes. If you want to use this Kansas law, you should give your employer reasonable advance notice if you need to miss work because of domestic violence or sexual assault. Again, the decision about whether to tell your employer is up to you but you might want to if your employer will not give you time off to deal with the sexual or domestic violence.

What if I can't give my employer advance notice?

If you are not able to notify your employer in advance, your employer can't take any action against you, so long as within 48 hours after your absence begins you provide your employer with any of the following:

  • Police report about the domestic violence or sexual assault
  • Court order or other evidence of a court appearance
  • Documentation that you are receiving treatment from a medical professional, health care provider, or counselor because of domestic violence or sexual assault
  • Documentation from a domestic violence or sexual assault advocate stating that you are receiving services because of domestic violence or sexual assault

If I can give advance notice that I will be missing work, do I still have to provide my employer with documentation?

Yes. Even when you give reasonable advance notice, you must provide documentation to support your reason for missing work within 48 hours of your return to work.

Will this information be confidential?

Yes. Under this Kansas law, your employer should keep any information about the reasons for your absences confidential. This includes the documents you must provide about these absences.

Will the leave be paid or unpaid?

You may use any paid leave you have available. If you do not have any paid leave available, you may use unpaid leave of up to eight days per year.

What if my employer already has a policy in place to address absences due to domestic violence and/or sexual assault?

If your employer allows for more absences than is provided by this law, you are entitled to take that time off.

Remember: You Are Not Alone

There are many women who have been assaulted or abused; many of them experience discrimination in their workplace because of the assault or abuse. If you are concerned about your safety and want to talk confidentially with someone who knows about sexual and domestic violence, call your local program (see "Kansas Sexual & Domestic Violence Programs") or the Kansas Crisis Line: 1-888-END ABUSE (1-888-363-2287).

This brochure is intended to provide you with a summary of K.S.A. 44-1131 and K.S.A. 44-1132. If you have specific questions about the law, you should contact an attorney.

This grant project is partially funded by State General Funds as administered by Kansas Governor Kathleen Sebelius' Grants Program. The opinions, findings and conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this publication, program, or exhibition are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Office of the Kansas Governor.

Kansas Sexual and Domestic Violence Program Map

Programs are listed below alphabetically by city with their HOTLINE phone numbers. The numbers on the map correspond to the programs listed. Call the program nearest you. You do not have to live in the city where the program is located to use their services.

image map image map image map Image Map

DV = domestic violence services provided
SA = sexual assault services provided

1. Atchison DV/SA DoVES 800-367-7075 or 913-367-0363 Back to map
2. Dodge City DV/SA Crisis Center of Dodge City 620-225-6510 Back to map
3. El Dorado DV/SA Family Life Center of Butler County 800-870-6967 or 316-321-7104 Back to map
4. Emporia DV/SA SOS, Inc. 800-825-1295 or 620-342-1870 Back to map
5. Garden City DV/SA Family Crisis Services 800-275-0535 or 620-275-5911 Back to map
6. Great Bend DV/SA Family Crisis Center 866-792-1885 or 620-792-1885 Back to map
7. Hays DV/SA Options: Domestic and Sexual Violence Services, Inc. 800-794-4624 or 785-625-3055 Back to map
8. Hutchinson DV/SA Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Center 800-701-3630 or 620-663-2522 Back to map
9. Iola DV/SA Hope Unlimited 620-365-7566 Back to map
10. Kansas City - Wyandotte Cnty DV Friends of Yates Joyce Williams Center 913-321-0951 Back to map
11. Kansas City - Johnson Cnty DV Safehome 888-432-4300 or 913-262-2868 Back to map
12. Kansas City DV El Centro, Inc. ¡Si Se Puede! 913-281-1186 Back to map
13. Kansas City DV/SA KCAVP 816-561-0550 Back to map
14. Kansas City SA MOCSA 816-531-0233 Back to map
15. Lawrence SA GaDuGi Safe Center 785-843-8985 Back to map
16. Lawrence DV The Willow Domestic Violence Center 800-770-3030 or 785-843-3333 Back to map
17. Leavenworth DV/SA Alliance Against Family Violence 800-644-1441 or 913-682-9131 Back to map
18. Liberal DV/SA LARC/DVS, Inc. 620-624-8818 Back to map
19. Manhattan DV/SA The Crisis Center, Inc. 800-727-2785 or 785-539-2785 Back to map
20. Mayetta DV/SA Prairie Band Potawatomi Family Violence Prevention Program 866-966-0173 or 785-966-8330 Back to map
21. Newton DV/SA Harvey County DV/SA Task Force 800-487-0510 or 316-283-0350 Back to map
22. Pittsburg DV/SA Safehouse Crisis Center, Inc. 800-794-9148 or 620-231-8251 Back to map
23. Salina DV/SA Domestic Violence Assoc. of Central Kansas 800-874-1499 or 785-827-5862 Back to map
24. Topeka DV/SA YWCA Center for Safety and Empowerment 888-822-2983 or dia 785-354-7927 o tarde / fin de semana 785-234-3330 Back to map
25. Wichita DV Catholic Charities Harbor House 866-899-5522 or 316-263-6000 Back to map
26. Wichita DV StepStone 316-265-1611 Back to map
27. Wichita SA Wichita Area Sexual Assault Center 316-263-3002 Back to map
28. Wichita DV YWCA Women's Crisis Center 316-267-7233 Back to map
29. Winfield DV/SA Safe Homes, Inc. Safe Homes, Inc. is temporarily closed. Victims and survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault who are in need of advocacy services in Cowley, Chautauqua, Elk, and Sumner counties should call the 24/7 Kansas Crisis Hotline at 1-888-363-2287 to receive services by the surrounding advocacy programs. Back to map

Join the Conversation

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube!
Facebook  Twitter  LinkedIn  YouTube

Signup for our E-Newsletter

Receive the KCSDV quarterly newsletter and/or media alerts.


Donate Now

Your donation will provide long-term support for KCSDV.

Donate now