Safety Plan for Victims of Domestic Violence

Developed by Kansas Coalition Against Sexual and Domestic Violence

Safety planning helps develop tools in advance of potentially dangerous situations. Choose only the suggestions listed here that make sense for your situation.


Go to an area that has an exit.
Not a bathroom (near hard surfaces), kitchen (knives), or near weapons.

Stay in a room with a phone.
Call 911, a friend, or a neighbor, if necessary. In-form them if there are weapons in the home.

Know your escape route.
Practice how to get out of your home safely. Visualize your escape route.

Have a packed bag ready.
Keep it hidden in a handy place in order to leave quickly, or leave the bag elsewhere if the abuser searches your home.

Devise a code word or signal.
Tell your children, grandchildren, or neighbors so you can communicate to them that you need the police.

Know where you're going.
Plan where you will go if you have to leave home, even if you don't think you'll need to..

Trust your judgment.
Consider anything that you feel will keep you safe and give you time to figure out what to do next. Sometimes it is best to flee and sometimes it is best to appease the abuser - anything that works to protect yourself and the children.



Have a safe place to stay.
Make sure it is a place that can protect you and your children or grandchildren.

Call a sexual and domestic violence victim service program.
Find out which services and shelters are available as options if you need them. Keep their address and phone number close at hand at all times.

Find someone you trust.
Leave money, extra keys, copies of important documents, and clothing with them in advance so you can leave quickly, if necessary.

Open a savings account.
Put it in your name only, to increase your independence. Consider direct deposit from your paycheck or benefit check.

Concerns about immigration status.
You may qualify under a law called the Violence Against Women Act. Talk to an immigration expert (not Immigration and Customs Enforcement) or your local sexual and domestic violence program (see "Kansas Sexual and Domestic Violence Program Numbers") for more information.

SAFETY IN YOUR OWN HOME (If the abuser does not live with you)

Upgrade your security system.
Change the locks on doors and windows. Consider a security service, window bars, better lighting, smoke detectors, and fire extinguishers.

Have a safety plan.
Teach your children or grandchildren how to call the police or someone they can trust. Have a secret code word that you and your children agree on to communicate trouble and for the people who are allowed to pick up the children.

Change your phone number.
Screen your calls. Save or take screenshots of all voicemails or text messages with threats or that violate any orders. If you are concerned that the abuser may have tampered with your phone, you may want to get a new phone and/or phone number or a disposable cell phone that the abuser does not have access to.

Talk to neighbors and landlord.
Inform them that the abuser no longer lives with you and that they should call the police if they see the abuser near your home.

Get legal advice.
Find a lawyer knowledgeable about domestic violence to explore custody, visitation, and divorce options that may protect you and the children. Discuss getting a protection order as an option.

The abuser may be mandated to a batterers’ intervention program. Talk with the program to find out more about potential risks to you while the abuser participates. Additionally, contact your local sexual and domestic violence program (see "Kansas Sexual and Domestic Violence Helpline Numbers") for more information.


There can be pros and cons to informing your employer about your. You can discuss any concerns you may have with a domestic or sexual violence advocate who can talk with you about your employment rights and can help you plan for your safety on the job (see “Kansas Sexual and Domestic Violence Numbers”). Decide who at work you will inform of your situation, especially if you have a Protection From Abuse Order (PFA). This may include office security, if available. Provide a picture of the abuser, if necessary. You can request confidentiality from those you disclose to.

Screen your calls.
Arrange to have someone screen and log your telephone calls, if necessary.

Make a safety plan.
Create a safety plan for when you enter and leave your work place. Have someone escort you to your vehicle or other transportation.

If you and the abuser work at the same place, discuss with your supervisor your options regarding scheduling, safety precautions, and employee/family benefits.

In an Emergency, Call 911


Get support.
Call a domestic violence crisis hotline or attend a women’s or victims’ support group to gain support from others and learn more about yourself and the relationship with the abuser.

Do what is safe for you.
If you have to communicate with the abuser, arrange to do so in a way that makes you feel safe – whether by phone, mail, or in the company of another person.


Tell schools and childcare.
Let them know who has permission to pick up the children. Discuss with them other special provisions to protect you and your children. Provide a picture of the abuser, if necessary.

Exchange children in a safe place.
Find a safe place to exchange the children for visitation. Some communities have specific locations just for this purpose. Contact your local sexual and domestic violence program (see “Kansas Sexual and Domestic Violence Program Numbers”) for more information.



  • Marriage and Driver's licenses
  • Birth certificates - yours and family's
  • Money, checkbooks, credit cards, ATM cards, mortgage payment book, car title
  • Social Security card, work permit, green card, passport, visa
  • Divorce, custody papers and protection order
  • Insurance papers and medical records
  • Lease, rental agreement and/or house deed
  • School and health records
  • Keys - house, car, office, friend's
  • Medications, glasses, hearing aids needed by you and your family
  • Personal items - address book, pictures, toys
  • Copies of your spouse?s green card or social security card and all immigration related documents
  • Benefit card

In an Emergency, Call 911

For support, contact:

The sexual and domestic violence program nearest you (see "Kansas Sexual and Domestic Violence Helpline Numbers" below)

Kansas Crisis Hotline

National Domestic Violence Hotline
1-800-799-SAFE (1-800-799-7233)
1-800-787-3224 (TTY)

Kansas Sexual and Domestic Violence Programs

Programs are listed below alphabetically by city with their HOTLINE phone numbers. The numbers on the map correspond to the programs listed. Call the program nearest you. You do not have to live in the city where the program is located to use their services.

image map image map image map Image Map

DV = domestic violence services provided
SA = sexual assault services provided

1. Atchison DV/SA DoVES 800-367-7075 or 913-367-0363 Back to map
2. Dodge City DV/SA Crisis Center of Dodge City 620-225-6510 Back to map
3. El Dorado DV/SA Family Life Center of Butler County 800-870-6967 or 316-321-7104 Back to map
4. Emporia DV/SA SOS, Inc. 800-825-1295 or 620-342-1870 Back to map
5. Garden City DV/SA Family Crisis Services 800-275-0535 or 620-275-5911 Back to map
6. Great Bend DV/SA Family Crisis Center 866-792-1885 or 620-792-1885 Back to map
7. Hays DV/SA Options: Domestic and Sexual Violence Services, Inc. 800-794-4624 or 785-625-3055 Back to map
8. Hutchinson DV/SA Sexual Assault/Domestic Violence Center 800-701-3630 or 620-663-2522 Back to map
9. Iola DV/SA Hope Unlimited 620-365-7566 Back to map
10. Kansas City - Wyandotte Cnty DV Friends of Yates Joyce Williams Center 913-321-0951 Back to map
11. Kansas City - Johnson Cnty DV Safehome 888-432-4300 or 913-262-2868 Back to map
12. Kansas City DV El Centro, Inc. ¡Si Se Puede! 913-281-1186 Back to map
13. Kansas City DV/SA KCAVP 816-561-0550 Back to map
14. Kansas City SA MOCSA 816-531-0233 Back to map
15. Lawrence SA GaDuGi Safe Center 785-843-8985 Back to map
16. Lawrence DV The Willow Domestic Violence Center 800-770-3030 or 785-843-3333 Back to map
17. Leavenworth DV/SA Alliance Against Family Violence 800-644-1441 or 913-682-9131 Back to map
18. Liberal DV/SA Liberal Area Rape Crisis and DV Services 620-624-8818 Back to map
19. Manhattan DV/SA The Crisis Center, Inc. 800-727-2785 or 785-539-2785 Back to map
20. Mayetta DV/SA Prairie Band Potawatomi Family Violence Prevention Program 866-966-0173 or 785-966-8330 Back to map
21. Newton DV/SA Harvey County DV/SA Task Force 800-487-0510 or 316-283-0350 Back to map
22. Pittsburg DV/SA Safehouse Crisis Center, Inc. 800-794-9148 or 620-231-8251 Back to map
23. Salina DV/SA Domestic Violence Assoc. of Central Kansas 800-874-1499 or 785-827-5862 Back to map
24. Topeka DV/SA YWCA Center for Safety and Empowerment 888-822-2983 or dia 785-354-7927 o tarde / fin de semana 785-234-3330 Back to map
25. Wichita DV Catholic Charities Harbor House 866-899-5522 or 316-263-6000 Back to map
26. Wichita DV StepStone 316-265-1611 Back to map
27. Wichita SA Wichita Area Sexual Assault Center 316-263-3002 Back to map
28. Wichita DV YWCA Women's Crisis Center 316-267-7233 Back to map
29. Winfield DV/SA Safe Homes, Inc. 800-794-7672 or 620-221-4357 Back to map

Join the Conversation

Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and YouTube!
Facebook  Twitter  LinkedIn  YouTube

Signup for our E-Newsletter

Receive the KCSDV quarterly newsletter and/or media alerts.


Donate Now

Your donation will provide long-term support for KCSDV.

Donate now