CSE Children’s Program Shelter Advocate – YWCA, Topeka
Position: CSE Children’s Program Shelter Advocate
Reporting Relationship: CSE Shelter Manager
Primary Accountability: Maintains a safe and confidential environment for clients of the CSE Shelters. Provides services to victims/survivors of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, human trafficking, and/or abuse.
- Provides crisis intervention, advocacy, and weekly case management services to individuals and families residing at the CSE Shelters.
- Completes intake forms on each client seen.
- Provides crisis intervention, advocacy, and safety planning services over the phone.
- Responds to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, and human trafficking at the police station and hospitals, during shift.
- Reports any suspected child abuse and neglect after discussing it with program director.
- Offers advocacy and/or transportation to clients for community appointments as requested, such as medical, mental health and housing, to provide a supportive presence.
- In partnership with daytime Shelter Advocate, develops and facilitates weekly children’s support group curriculum at CSE Shelters.
- Educates children and families about the impact of trauma on children, healthy child development, and ways to enhance children’s resilience.
- Offers technical assistance to evening Shelter Staff when working with CSE Shelters’ residents who have children.
- Provides additional responsibilities as assigned by the Shelter Manager.
- Attends all shelter staff meetings.
- Actively promotes and supports the organization’s mission and vision.
Employment Status: Exempt
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday 1:45 pm-10:15 pm
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Has a basic understanding of dynamics of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, and human trafficking.
- Possesses sensitivity to the needs of others.
- Demonstrates a positive self-image and emotional maturity.
- Is an effective communicator.
- Ability to work with children and their parents in a stressful situation.
- Willingness to be available as a consultant to staff members.
- Must have own car to help provide transportation as needed.
- Ability to function in a crisis setting where interruptions are frequent.
- Able to lift 50 pounds.
- Able to climb flights of stairs multiple times daily.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time.
The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
Salary: $37,000 – $39,000
Applicants are encouraged to send their materials (e.g., cover letter, resume, references) to Paula Figgs, Office Manager (email@example.com).
People of color and individuals bilingual/bi-cultural in English/Spanish are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or veteran status.