Court Advocate – YWCA Center for Safety and Empowerment, Topeka – December 2022
Job Classification: Exempt
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday 8:00 am-5:30 pm
Salary: $38,000 to $39,500
Reporting Relationship: Center for Safety and Empowerment’s (CSE’s) Program Director
Primary Accountability: Build relationships with Kansas Legal Services and other possible legal representation agencies. Provides intensive, trauma-informed support to survivors who are involved with the civil and criminal court system as a result of their victimization.
- Collaborates and maintains relationship with Topeka Police Department and Shawnee County Sheriff’s Department.
- Collaborates and maintains relationship with Kansas Legal Services, City of Topeka, and Shawnee County District’s Office.
- Attends Protection Order Dockets twice weekly with clients as emotional support.
- Assists clients in filing Protection from Abuse and Protection from Stalking Orders.
- Attends civil and criminal court hearings (i.e. divorce and/or custody hearings) with clients as emotional support.
- Answers hotline calls and provides support.
- May assist with walk-in crisis clients, as a secondary to Crisis Advocate.
- May respond to crisis calls in the community, as a secondary to Crisis Advocate.
- May assist with shelter screenings and intakes, as a secondary to Shelter Advocates and Crisis Advocate.
- Serves in the on-call rotation.
- Degree in social work or related field or equivalent experience.
- Experience working with DCF and victims of domestic violence and/or sexual assault/abuse.
- Ability to work well with a cross section of clients.
- Ability to coordinate case management for a diverse client population.
- Knowledge of local resources.
- Ability to relate well to people in crisis.
- Ability to function well in a crisis setting where interruptions are frequent.
- Basic knowledge of domestic violence and sexual assault dynamics.
- Ability to drive personal vehicle and to be moving from site to site on any given day.
- Able to lift 50 pounds.
- Able to climb flights of stairs multiple times daily.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time.
The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
People of color and individuals bilingual/bi-cultural in English/Spanish are encouraged to apply.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or veteran status.
Interested applicants can send their information and application materials to Paula Figgs via email: email@example.com.
Visit https://www.ywcaneks.org/who-we-are/careers/ for the full job description.