CSE Shelter Advocate, 2nd Shift – YWCA Center for Safety and Empowerment, Topeka – Oct 2021
Job Classification: Exempt
Work Schedule: Monday –Friday 4:00pm-12:00am
Reporting Relationship: Shelter Manager
Primary Accountability: Maintains a safe and confidential environment for clients of the CSE Shelter. Provides services to victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, stalking, human trafficking and/or abuse.
- Provides crisis intervention to clients housed at the shelter.
- Completes intake forms with each client as admitted to shelter.
- Meets weekly with clients staying at shelter to perform case management services.
- Reports any suspected child abuse and neglect after discussing it with program director.
- Offers advocacy and/or transportation to clients for community appointments as requested, such as medical, mental health and housing, to provide a supportive presence.
- Provide crisis intervention over the phone or with walk-in clients as needed.
- Provides support to clients during SANE exams and while making reports to law enforcement.
- Provides consultation and advocacy to staff regarding the shelter clients.
- Provides additional responsibilities as assigned by the Shelter Manager.
- Attends all staff meetings.
- Actively promotes and supports the organization’s mission and vision.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Work or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Has a basic understanding of dynamics of domestic violence and sexual assault.
- Possesses sensitivity to the needs of others.
- Is an effective communicator.
- Ability to work with children and their parents in a stressful situation.
- Willingness to be available as a consultant to staff members.
- Must have own car to help provide transportation as needed.
- Ability to function in a crisis setting where interruptions are frequent.
- Certified in First Aid and CPR (must earn certification within 180 days of hire).
- Able to lift 50 pounds.
- Able to climb flights of stairs multiple times daily.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time.
The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
Visit https://www.ywcaneks.org/who-we-are/careers/ for the full job description.
Interested applicants can send their information and application materials to Becca Spielman, CSE Program Director.