Domestic Violence Counselor
Center for Safety and Empowerment, YWCA NE KS
Job Classification: Exempt, Salary $39,000
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm (flexible)
Reporting Relationship: CSE Program Director
Participates in all YWCA and community activities for Center for Safety and Empowerment. Advocates for domestic violence clients and empowers clients to advocate on their own behalf. Knowledgeable of community resources for victims, their friends and family.
- Provides ongoing individual counseling to victims and survivors of domestic violence
- Provides crisis intervention and initial assessment of client needs
- Provides support for victims of domestic violence who are undocumented
- Connects undocumented victims with legal resources
- Facilitates support groups for sheltered and non-sheltered clients, as needed
- Makes appropriate referrals and networks with community partner agencies
- Works with other staff in case management
- Offers advocacy and/or transportation to clients for community appointments as requested, such as medical, mental health and housing, to provide a supportive presence
- Assists clients with completion of protection orders
- Takes rotation as on-call, providing support for crisis calls and sexual assault calls as needed after hours
- Attends weekly staff meetings
- Completes all timekeeping records as required by funders and the YWCA
- Completes all client data entry as required
- Actively promotes and supports the organization’s mission and vision
- Master’s Degree in Social Work or related field preferred
- Licensed through the Kansas Behavioral Sciences Regulatory Board
- Those who are Bilingual in English and Spanish are encouraged
- Experience working with victims of domestic violence and/or sexual assault/abuse
- Ability to work well with a diverse client population
- Knowledge of local resources
- Ability to work compassionately with people in crisis
- Ability to function well in a crisis setting where interruptions are frequent
- Basic knowledge of domestic violence and sexual assault dynamics
- Certified in First Aid and CPR. (Must earn certification within 180 days of hire.)
- Ability to drive personal vehicle and to be moving from site to site on any given day.
- Able to lift 50 pounds.
- Able to climb flights of stairs multiple times daily.
- Must be able to work a flexible 40 hour work week schedule.
- Must have the ability to function in a crisis setting where interruptions are frequent.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time.
The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
Apply by sending a cover letter and resume to Program Director Michelle McCormick at firstname.lastname@example.org.