Kansas Coalition Against Sexual and Domestic Violence (KCSDV), Topeka, KS
Position: Legal Assistance to Victims (LAV) Project Attorney
Responsible to: Managing Attorney, Legal Assistance to Victims Program
Employment Status: Full-time, exempt.
Primary Responsibilities: Increase the availability of quality legal representation for victims in complex litigation in sexual assault civil proceedings, including, but not limited to: fair housing cases, Title IX cases and education-focused litigation, employment-based claims, including sexual harassment, immigration and human trafficking cases.
- Provide direct legal services to victims of sexual assault across the lifespan.
- Provide assistance to Kansas attorneys representing victims, as needed.
- Coordinate the Legal Assistance to Victims grant project including grant reports, statistics and other items as needed or assigned.
- Collaborate with attorneys and other system professionals to increase capacity on legal issues facing sexual assault victims.
- Collaborate with attorneys in Kansas to improve the capacity for legal representation of victims.
- Provide technical assistance to member program advocates, private and legal services attorneys, judges, court personnel, child advocacy personnel, and social service workers on issues impacting victims and their children.
- Collaborate to provide webinars and trainings to court personnel, judges, guardians ad litem, and child welfare professionals on custody considerations for victims of domestic and sexual violence.
- Serve as faculty on all relevant KCSDV trainings.
- Assist with other KCSDV duties as assigned.
Additional Benefits: Health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance, mini-flex plan, employee assistance plan, and 401k plan retirement contribution.
Knowledge Skills & Abilities Needed: Juris doctorate and admission to Kansas Bar. The ideal candidate is ready to leave day-to-day litigation to focus on improving the systemic response to sexual assault survivors and supporting professionals who work in the field. Previous background in domestic violence and sexual assault advocacy. Proven writing and speaking ability. Demonstrated ability to maintain strict confidentiality. Ability to travel and have means of own transportation. Must be able to carry 20-30 lbs.
Location: This position offers a collegial working environment in our offices in downtown Topeka, KS. At the time of this posting, KCSDV is in remote status. KCSDV is telework ready and the position may initially start based at home as needed during the COVID-19 pandemic and will return to KCSDV offices when the health emergency allows.
To Apply: Send writing sample, resume, cover letter and three professional references to email@example.com, ATTN: Managing Attorney, Legal Assistance to Victims Program.