Part-Time Shelter Advocate COVID Project 1 – YWCA Center for Safety and Empowerment, Topeka – Oct 2021
Job Classification: Non-exempt
$15 to $16/hour
Work Schedule: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, from 9 am to 1 pm
Reporting Relationship: 2nd Shift Shelter Supervisor
Maintains a safe, confidential environment for clients of the CSE Shelter. Provides services to clients and their children who are victims of domestic violence, sexual assault, human trafficking, or stalking.
- Offers information and/or crisis counseling to hotline callers.
- Makes referrals to other community agencies and resources.
- Meets victims at the hospital and police station for domestic violence or sexual assault support.
- Conducts initial shelter screen and intake for victims of domestic and/or sexual violence.
- Orients new shelter residents and completes necessary paperwork.
- Monitors residents in community living, addressing any concerns that arise per shelter policy manual.
- Assures resident and staff safety by taking necessary emergency measures.
- Assists in maintaining shelter cleanliness and orderliness. Examples: shelter laundry, donation management, stock kitchen, prepare bedrooms for the next incoming shelter resident.
- Documents relevant shift information in log and provide verbal “briefing” to oncoming staff and on-call staff back-up as needed.
- Documents all calls and completes weekly, bi-weekly, and/or monthly paperwork.
- Attends monthly shelter staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Actively promotes and supports the organization’s mission and vision.
- Ability to work well with a diverse client population.
- Ability to mediate and resolve conflicts.
- Ability to relate well to victims experiencing crisis.
- Ability to maintain health and safety regulations at the shelter.
- Ability to work independently.
- Must be punctual, reliable and understand client/staff good boundaries issues.
- Certified in First Aid and CPR. (Must earn certification within 180 days of hire.)
- Able to lift 50 pounds.
- Able to climb flights of stairs multiple times daily.
- Must have the ability to function in a crisis setting where interruptions are frequent.
Additional duties and responsibilities may be added to this job description at any time.
The job description does not state or imply that these are the only activities to be performed by the employee(s) holding this position. Employees are required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related responsibilities as requested by their supervisor.
People of color and individuals bilingual in English/Spanish are encouraged to apply.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability or veteran status.
Visit https://www.ywcaneks.org/who-we-are/careers/ for the full job description.
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to Becca Spielman, CSE Program Director.