Public Policy Attorney – KCSDV, Topeka -May 2022
Position: Public Policy Attorney
Responsible to: Executive Director
Primary Responsibilities: To develop materials, distribute information, provide training, and respond to requests on legal issues regarding sexual assault, stalking, and domestic violence. Track and respond to public policy initiatives and developments throughout the year with a focus on the legislative session.
• Provide technical assistance in written or verbal form to advocates and others on legal issues regarding sexual assault, stalking, dating violence, and domestic violence.
• Answer telephone inquiries from individuals regarding sexual assault, stalking, dating violence, and domestic violence issues of a legal nature.
• Write, prepare, and distribute materials as directed on legal issues regarding sexual assault, stalking, dating violence, and domestic violence.
• Serve, as directed, as KCSDV staff representative to agencies or organizations working on sexual assault, stalking, dating violence, and domestic violence issues.
• Provide training on sexual assault, stalking, dating violence, and domestic violence laws and related issues to advocates, law enforcement, criminal justice personnel and other related professionals as requested.
• Track and monitor new case law and legislation impacting victims of sexual assault, domestic violence, and stalking.
• Complete special legal projects and perform other duties as directed.
Benefits: Health, dental, life, short-term and long-term disability insurance, Section 125 mini- flex plan, and 401k Plan contribution. Paid health, vacation, and holiday leave.
Employment Status: Full-time, exempt
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities Needed: Admission to Kansas Bar or eligible for admission to the Kansas Bar; knowledge of legal and systems issues involved in domestic violence and sexual assault; strong research and writing skills; proven ability at public speaking and training; ability to interpret the law to advocates and others in oral and written formats; demonstrated ability to maintain strict confidentiality; ability to complete projects in a timely manner; ability to travel, have own means of transportation. Must be able to lift and carry 20-30 lbs.
Location: This position offers a collegial working environment in our offices in downtown Topeka, KS.
Salary: Range $55,000 to $65,000, depending on experience.
KCSDV is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. KCSDV does not consider race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, or marital status in employment decisions. It is our policy to maintain a non-discriminatory environment free from intimidation, harassment, or bias based upon these grounds.