State Director – Kansas CASA Association, Topeka – March 2021
The State Director is a full-time, salaried, exempt employee. The State Director is responsible for leading, managing and executing the affairs of the KCA and implement its policies to the overall benefit of the organization and its membership. Key responsibilities include, but are not restricted to, program/service development, resource development, marketing and public relations, public policy and legislative advocacy, agency and program planning, agency liaison to the board of directors, and fiscal management. The State Director will ensure that the routine operations and ongoing development of the KCA are consistent with its strategic direction. Must have reliable transportation and availability to travel periodically within Kansas and out of state.
- B.A. or B.S. degree in one of the following or related fields: social work or public administration.
- At minimum, 3 years of non-profit management experience in an operational environment and management or supervisory experience.
- Experience in child welfare setting or as a CASA volunteer or supervisor and knowledge and understanding of child abuse and neglect, families in crisis and other social services skills are given priority.
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles as they relate to nonprofit/volunteer organizations.
- Knowledge of current market challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the KCA.
- Knowledge of computer applications and social media, and the impact of technology on KCA business.
- Skills in financial management, including budgeting and grant management.
- Knowledge and demonstrated record of fund development.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships and teamwork, both internally and externally.
- Ability to create new opportunities while understanding and anticipating the needs of local programs and the public.
- Ability to encourage and appreciate input and feedback from staff, volunteers, and local program directors/staff in furtherance of the KCA’s mission and goals.
- Ability to positively influence others to achieve results that are in the best interest of the KCA.
- Ability to assess situations, determine strategies, set priorities, and implement action plans to move the organization forward.
- The State Director is hired by, supervised by, and reports directly to the Board of Directors.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serve as a liaison between local programs and the KCA Board of Directors in the development and/or implementation of CASA programs in Kansas.
- Provide support and resources to counties that have interest in or are developing CASA programs.
- Provide ongoing technical assistance and communication tools for established CASA programs.
- Work with the Financial Committee to develop an annual plan to meet the financial needs of the organization.
- Work with the Board of Directors to create statewide funding opportunities for KCA.
- Research and prepare and supervise grant proposals and other funding applications for KCA.
- Develop and maintain a donor base for both monetary and non-monetary resources.
- Develop and maintain a donor tracking system.
Marketing and Public Relations
- Help set statewide public relations and marketing goals and assist in meeting those goals. Goals should promote KCA membership and enhance the visibility of KCA.
- Establish positive standard media and social media relations for CASA statewide.
- Assure adequate and current program literature is available for distribution.
Public Policy and Legislative Advocacy
- Work in partnership with local CASA programs to address public policy issues and engage in legislative education on behalf of abused and neglected children, balancing the need for the credibility of a unified state position with the needs of local organizations.
- Maintain positive relations with other professional and social service groups, the state legislature, state agencies and other policymakers.
- Serve on appropriate statewide committees and participate in statewide coalitions with similar missions.
Agency and Program Planning
- Direct, supervise, and evaluate staff and volunteers/student interns.
- Provide direction for the development of improved methods, systems, procedures, policies, and techniques to operate the organization more effectively, and provide a greater level of service to local CASA programs.
- Implement and monitor annual goals in consultation with the Board of Directors and the President.
- Prepares and/or assists with the preparation of the Annual Report.
- Ensure agency compliance with National and State CASA standards.
- Participate or delegate participation in statewide meetings that further the interest of CASA and those served, including accepting appointments to committees and task forces.
- Work cooperatively with Office of Judicial Administration and other statewide partners representatives.
Board of Directors Liaison
- Attend board meetings and provide appropriate and thorough reports to the Board of Directors.
- Oversee implementation of all board directives, policies, and procedures.
- Work with the Board President to prepare agendas and materials for meetings of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee.
- Keep the Board of Directors, through the Board President, informed of policy or organizational problems as they arise.
- Serve as liaison between board, agency staff, and local program directors/staff.
- Track and facilitate board/committee activities and attend committee meetings as directed by the Board of Directors.
- Assist with development of recommended annual budget in consultation with the Finance Committee.
- Monitor KCA program costs and maintain expenditures within approved budget.
- Supervise the receipt, processing, and payment of bills.
- Track expenditures and adherence to any requirements set forth by grantors.
- Supervise the processing of donations received by KCA
- Make a complete financial report to the membership at the annual meeting in coordination with the Treasurer.
- Performs other duties that may be required or assigned by the Board of Directors.
General Sign Off:
The employee is expected to adhere to all agency policies and to act as a role model in the adherence to agency policies.
I have read and understand this explanation and job description.
Employee Signature: Date:
Supervisor Signature: Date:
Send Resume, Cover letter, and 3 references to email@example.com