Support Group Advocate
The Sexual Trauma and Abuse Care Center, Lawrence, Kansas
The Support Group Advocate position will provide survivor-centered services that respond to the immediate emotional and physical needs of victims of sexual violence and assist victims with managing problems created by the victimization. In addition, the position is responsible for the coordination and facilitation of the agency’s support group program.
1. Provide services to residents of Douglas, Jefferson and Franklin Counties which include responding to the immediate emotional and physical needs of victims and restoring the victim’s sense of security. : Crisis intervention; accompaniment to hospitals for medical examinations; hotline and in-person supportive counseling; safety planning; practical problem-solving; assisting in filing restraining orders; law enforcement interview accompaniment; providing information and referrals; assistance with emergency shelter; etc.
2. Responsible for understanding and demonstrating a trauma-informed and survivor-centered view of victims and understanding that their process of healing and facilitating communication with and among service providers and systems can be corrective and restorative. : Support and navigate with victim through various service providers, creditors, or employers; assisting in filing for compensation benefits; and helping to apply for public assistance.
3. Participate in the after-hours on-call rotation for crisis calls. 1-2 weeks a month the Support Group Coordinator position will be on-call to act as staff backup and be available for crisis calls as well as respond within 30-minutes to Lawrence Memorial Hospital for medical examination accompaniment if necessary.
Support Group Coordination:
1. Work with the staff to maintain and develop diverse and survivor-centered support group programs to Douglas, Jefferson and Franklin counties. : Research and plan curriculum, advertise and recruit participants, work with community partners and referral sources to accommodate multiple needs in the communities the agency serves.
2. Responsible for implementation and facilitation of both closed and open support groups to primary and secondary survivors of sexual violence. : Conduct screenings for potential group participants, administer evaluations, assess supplementary needs of clients and make referrals as necessary.
1. Work with Program Directors on grant reports required by funding sources including financial, statistical and narrative reports.
2. Attend relevant trainings on sexual violence related topics on a yearly basis.
3. Attend staff meetings and collaborate with staff and Executive Director on day-to-day office activities.
Qualifications, Skills, and Knowledge Needed:
- Relevant and significant work and volunteer experience AND/OR bachelor degree, preferably in the areas of social welfare, women’s studies, psychology or related field.
- Experience working with diverse populations. Ability to communicate effectively with various ages and populations (i.e. community members, volunteers, students).
- Experience in crisis response and case management required. Experience and/or knowledge of sexual violence issues preferred.
Spanish language fluency preferred.
- Must have vehicle, valid driver’s license and insurance coverage.
- Ability to adjust to changing environments and ability to be flexible in working within those systems related to sexual violence.
- Ability to work independently while maintaining accountability for all work assigned, being prompt with all appointments and meeting all deadlines in a timely manner.
- Full-time (minimum of 40 hours/week)
- $35,200 / yearly
- The Care Center is committed to making sure our agency is diverse and representative of the community. We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Position open until filled. Apply with resume and cover letter to chrissy@STACareCenter.org
Or The Sexual Trauma and Abuse Care Center, Attn: Chrissy Heikkila, 708 W. 9th St. #105, Lawrence, KS 66044