Glad You Asked: Where Can I Get a Protection Order?

Figure 11: The image shows two people sitting at a table. One of the people has their hand raised to ask a question. The image is by rawpixel.

You can get a protection order in three ways:

  1. Online: Blank Petitions for a Protection From Abuse (PFA) and a Protection From Stalking, Sexual Assault, or Human Trafficking (PFSSAHT) orders are available at no cost on the Kansas Judicial Council website at

On this webpage, select one of the two petitions by clicking the name of the protection order you are seeking; after clicking, you will be directed to another webpage, and on this other page, click “Petition” to access the petition.

  1. Clerk’s Office: The physical, already-printed petitions can be obtained in person from your local court clerk.
  2. Local Program: Most local sexual and domestic violence advocacy programs have physical copies of the forms already printed, or the staff and advocates at the program can help you find the correct form for your situation online. To connect with your local advocacy program, visit the KCSDV website at

An advocate or attorney can discuss the petitions with you and help you with the process of submitting a petition. They can help in completing the form, answer any questions you might have, and might also be able to provide information to you in deciding whether the benefits of a protection order outweigh the risks for you legally and personally based on what you feel and know is best for you.

If any advocates and attorneys have questions about protection orders, please contact KCSDV’s Protection Project Coordinator:

This project was supported by Grant No. 2017-MU-AX-0006 awarded by the Office on Violence Against Women, U.S. Department of Justice. The opinions, findings, conclusions, and recommendations expressed in this publication are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Department of Justice, Office on Violence Against Women.

The Kansas Coalition Against Sexual and Domestic Violence (KCSDV)’s mission is to prevent and eliminate sexual and domestic violence. Find more information on KCSDV’s website at

The 24-hour Kansas Crisis Hotline is 888-END-ABUSE (888-363-2287).


Last Updated on Nov 10, 2020