- June 20, 2021
- Posted by: Teresa Gallegos
Court Advocacy: Helping Survivors Navigate the Legal System
Audience: KCSDV Member Program Advocates and Staff Only
This training will familiarize advocates with the basics of the criminal legal process and the protection order process so they can confidently assist survivors navigating these systems.
- Identify two confidentiality requirements for advocates and two limitations of confidentiality and explain how these limitations compare with other professional systems;
- Identify two differences between civil and criminal cases;
- Describe the advocate’s role in the criminal legal system;
- Describe the survivor’s rights in the criminal legal system;
- Identify two possible civil remedies and/or protections;
- More effectively advocate for survivors seeking protection orders;
- Understand how to help survivors navigate the protection order system;
- Respond to requests for protection orders; and
- Identify common misconceptions surrounding protection orders and demonstrate effective techniques for combatting them.
Dates & Times
Thursday, July 15, 2021
9:00 – 10:30 a.m. (CST)
Friday, July 16, 2021
9:00 – 10:30 a.m. (CST)
Katie Wade, Criminal Justice Response Coordinator
Heather Blanton, Criminal Justice Projects Manager
Madeline Dickerson, Protection Order Project Coordinator
Wednesday, July 7, 2021
Register soon, space is limited!
How to Register:
The Zoom join link for this event will be emailed to all approved and complete registrants prior to the date of the training.
We are committed to creating environments where we see our own and each other’s full humanity and everyone has the ability to thrive and fulfill their full potential in learning environments. Every effort will be made to ensure equitable access at this event.
For questions about accessibility or to request an accommodation, please select your needs on the online registration form or contact email@example.com. Requests should be made at least 14 business days prior to the event.
Live Virtual Training Technical Requirements
Webcam: A webcam is encouraged for participation from all registrants. If you need assistance with webcam access, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Zoom Platform: We recommend that you have the most current version of the Zoom client on your computer. If you already have Zoom loaded, please be sure you have updated to the newest version from this page.
- Chrome: The Connect site works best with the Google Chrome browser. You can use another web browser, but some features may not work as well. You can download the Chrome Browser from this page.
email@example.com or 785-232-9784
Training Hours: 3
This project was supported by Grant No. 2015-WE-AX-0004 awarded by the Office on Violence Against Women, U.S. Department of Justice. The opinions, findings, conclusions, and recommendations expressed in this publication/program/exhibition are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Department of Justice, Office on Violence Against Women.
This grant project is supported by subgrant number 21-VAWA-23 awarded by the Kansas Governor’s Grants Program for the STOP Formula Grant Program. The opinions, findings, conclusions, and recommendations expressed in this publication/program/exhibition are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Office of the Kansas Governor or the U.S. Department of Justice, Office on Violence Against Women.
July 15, 2021 - July 16, 2021
9:00 am - 10:30 am