- March 8, 2022
- Posted by: Teresa Gallegos
Protection Order Advocate Roundtable #2: Helping Survivors in Kansas with Interstate Custody and Relocation Cases
Audience: KCSDV Member Program Advocates and Staff Only
Date and Time:
Tuesday, April 26, 2022
9:00 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. (CST)
The second protection order advocate roundtable includes training presentation provided by The Legal Resource Center on Violence Against Women (LRC) on basic interstate custody issues.
This training will provide participants with an overview of federal and state laws that govern interstate custody cases. It is designed for victim advocates in Kansas who wish to understand the basic framework of how these laws fit together. Case scenarios will be used to demonstrate how advocates can help survivors address the economic, safety and legal issues involved when they cross state or tribal lines to flee abuse. Advocates will have an opportunity to ask questions during the presentation.
The LRC is a nonprofit organization that works to improve legal representation for domestic violence survivors in interstate custody cases. The LRC provides technical assistance to victim advocates and attorneys who are assisting survivors in such cases.
- Learn how the LRC can support their work with survivors facing interstate custody cases.
- Learn about the federal and state laws that govern interstate custody cases, including the Kansas parental kidnapping and state relocation laws.
- Learn practice tips for supporting survivors in interstate cases.
- Help advocates understand difference between giving legal advice and providing legal information.
Legal Resource Center on Violence Against Women (LRC)
Vivien Olsen, JD
Legal Assistance to Victims (LAV) Project Managing Attorney
Madeline Dickerson, JD
Protection Order Project Coordinator
Registration Deadline: April 19, 2022
We are committed to creating environments where we see our own and each other’s full humanity and everyone has the ability to thrive and fulfill their full potential in learning environments. Every effort will be made to ensure equitable access at this event.
For questions about accessibility or to request an accommodation, please select your needs on the online registration form or contact email@example.com. Requests should be made at least 14 business days prior to the event.
Protection Order Project Coordinator
Virtual Training Technical Requirements
Webcam: While we are unable to meet in-person, the use of a webcam is required for the most effective interactive experience.
- Zoom Platform: We recommend that you have the most current version of the Zoom client on your computer. If you already have Zoom loaded, please be sure you have updated to the newest version. If you do not have Zoom on your device, you can download the “Zoom Client for Meetings” from this page (for your computer or mobile device).
- Chrome: The Connect site works best with the Google Chrome browser. You can use another web browser, but some features may not work as well. You can download the Chrome Browser from this page.
Total Training Hours: 1.5
This project was supported by subgrant number 22-VAWA-19 awarded by the Kansas Governor’s Grants Program for the Office on Violence Against Women, U.S. Department of Justice’s STOP Formula Grant Program. The opinions, findings, conclusions, and recommendations expressed in this publication/program/exhibition are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Office of the Kansas Governor or the U.S. Department of Justice.
This project was supported by Grant No. 2016-WL-AX-0003 awarded by the Office on Violence Against Women, U.S. Department of Justice. The opinions, findings, conclusions, and recommendations expressed in this publication/program/exhibition are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Department of Justice, Office on Violence Against Women.
This training is supported by Grant No. 2016-TA-AX-K030 awarded by the Office on Violence Against Women, U.S. Department of Justice. The opinions, findings, conclusions, and recommendations expressed are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Department of Justice, Office on Violence Against Women.
April 26, 2022
9:00 am - 10:30 am