- August 10, 2021
- Posted by: Teresa Gallegos
Advocate Skill-Building Series: Shifting the Conversation on Sexual Violence in Correctional Facilities
Audience: KCSDV Member Program Advocates and Staff Only
Survivors of sexual assault face many potential difficulties when disclosing their experience, including not being believed and encountering victim-blaming. This can be especially true for incarcerated survivors of sexual assault. Prison rape jokes are still prevalent in our society, and it is not uncommon to hear public calls for those sentenced to jail or prison time to “get what’s coming to them”. As advocates for all victim-survivors of sexual violence, we have much work to do in dispelling the myths surrounding prison rape. Join us for a training where we will share strategies for challenging common misperceptions and more effectively educating community partners, the public, and even our peers on the realities of sexual assault in correctional facilities.
More training opportunities in the series will be posted at www.kcsdv.org/train when they become available.
- Describe how advocacy for incarcerated survivors fits into the broader mission of ending sexual violence.
- Discuss reasons that disbelief and victim-blaming of incarcerated survivors is so common.
- Identify strategies for challenging misperceptions, providing accurate information, and creating buy-in to address sexual violence in correctional facilities.
Date & Time
Monday, August 30, 2021
1:00 – 2:30 p.m. (CST)
Accreditation and Technical Assistance Coordinator
August 29, 2021
Register soon, space is limited!
How to Register:
The Zoom join link for this event will be emailed to all approved and complete registrants on June 21, 2021.
We are committed to creating environments where we see our own and each other’s full humanity and everyone has the ability to thrive and fulfill their full potential in learning environments. Every effort will be made to ensure equitable access at this event.
For questions about accessibility or to request an accommodation, please select your needs on the online registration form or contact email@example.com. Requests should be made at least 14 business days prior to the event.
Live Virtual Training Technical Requirements
Webcam: A webcam is encouraged for participation from all registrants. If you need assistance with webcam access, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Zoom Platform: We recommend that you have the most current version of the Zoom client on your computer. If you already have Zoom loaded, please be sure you have updated to the newest version from this page.
- Chrome: The Connect site works best with the Google Chrome browser. You can use another web browser, but some features may not work as well. You can download the Chrome Browser from this page.
email@example.com or 785-232-9784
Training Hours: 1.5
This grant project is supported by subgrant number 21-JAG-18 awarded by the Kansas Criminal Justice Coordinating Council for the Federal Bureau of Justice Assistance, Office of Justice Programs as administered by the Kansas Governor’s Grants Program. The opinions, findings, conclusions, or recommendations expressed in this publication, program, or exhibition are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Kansas Criminal Justice Coordinating Council or the U.S. Department of Justice.”
August 30, 2021
10:00 am - 11:30 am